Monday, August 19, 2013

New Unique Tamable Rare & Some Trackable Pets not so unique anymore (5.4 PTR)

(Anything discussed in this post could very well change before going live, as this is from the PTR.)

I'm sure I'm not the only hunter out there that just can't get enough pets, especially the unique and hard to find ones. Well, when patch 5.4 hits we'll be getting at least one new unique tamable rare.

Meet Great Turtle-Furyshell.


Unfortunately, this spiked dragon turtle is one of the thirty-one rares on the Timeless Isle that needs to be killed in order to get the Timeless Champion Achievement. Not only is he required for the achievement, but he also drops Timeless Coins and potentially other nice loot such as Timeless armor (item level 496 armor pieces). For this reason, he will likely be DEAD almost immediately after spawning in on medium and high population servers. I imagine when the patch hits, that taming him will be a little difficult unless your in the right place at the right time.

If you are interested in taming this guy, he can be found all along the western coast of the Isle. I have encountered him as far north as the Horde base camp, and as far south as the Alliance camp.

Here is a super short video of taming him right next to the Alliance camp:



As you can see, he is immune to Freezing Trap but he doesn't hit very hard making the tame itself quite easy (so long as nobody comes along and attacks him).

For those of you who believe that matching mounts and pets are awesome like myself; this guy matches the Great Purple Dragon Turtle.

Great Purple Dragon Turtle & Great Turtle Furyshell
To all of the other hunters out there who will be looking for this guy, I wish you luck!

Unique trackable hunter pets - Some of them not so unique any more:

(Insert big un-smiley face here.) For those out there that haven't had luck finding Patrannache yet (or just didn't feel like taking the time to search for him), the pink crane skin can now be found all around the lower forest region on the Timeless Isle. These elite level 90 cranes (Brilliant Windfeathers) are not immune to Freezing Trap, and really have no special abilities worth mentioning that will make taming them difficult. You simply need to be level 90, and know where your Tame Beast button is.


There are three other trackable pet skins that can also be found around the island. Gu'chi the Swarmbringer is a rare that shares the same skin as Bombyx, the silkworm who leaves a trail of silkweed in Krasarang Wilds. Gu'chi the Swarmbringer cannot currently be tamed on the ptr though. 

Elder Great Turtles can be found swimming just off the coast, these elite dragon turtles look exactly like Bloodtooth. They are tamable, however they are too high level too tame at level 90. The same can be said for the Primal Stalker cats around the isle. These white tigers look exactly like Savage, the trackable pet from the Jade Forest.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of these difficult to find rares being made so easy to nab. I guess it was inevitable, but still...meh. The personal challenge and sense of accomplishment of finding the trackable rares will still be there though, at least that's something. 

What do you all think? Are you happy to see these skins tamable? Will you run out and tame a Brilliant Wildfeather on patch day? 

16 comments:

  1. We-ell, I will probably go tame a Brilliant Wildfeather. With my Hunter being an alt rather than my main and other alts I still want to get to 90 before the next expansion, I don't see myself wanting to take the time to track down Patrannache anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really don't like it when they do that. I recently caught Stompy by tracking him through Kun-Lai, and almost caught Savage 2 times the other day. It's been a huge thing that I want to accomplish, and if they add easy skins for the hunters out there that have whined about it, that's a cop-out for the rest of us that are wanting the hard work!

    I will still try to tame Savage directly, and know that I caught the 'real deal'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if the lazy hunters get the look alike skins they actual pets won't have the same unique abilities.

      Delete
  3. WOOOOOWWWWW i am actually devastated. all that time and effort wasted~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, seeing as how it's only 1 pet, the one I had the very least interest in obtaining, and the rest of the lookalikes won't be tamable till the next expansion, I say it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am somewhat disappointed in Blizz at reusing the skins. However, I will take pride knowing that I have the real ones... tracked & tamed how they were supposed to be... not the "wannabes"!! Thanks so much, always the best info found here.
    ~Tantricks - lock - with a fav alt hunter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm disappointed with Saveage since I just tamed him last night. He was my easiest tame of the three I got. Also Bloodtooth. Just got him too. This really sucks. That's taking away the rareness and challenge of getting those pets. Boo Blizzard Boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least those two pets will still be unique until until the level cap is raised. And who knows, this is still the PTR so anything could happen! ;)

      Delete
  7. My main is a hunter and even though I'm not super into the custom pets (I usually roll a Loch Modan fox bc it looks most like my dog in RL:) this was kind of disappointing. I thought the trackable pets were one of the coolest features in any expansion and I can't see why they would want to wreck it. It would be nice if they made some subtle change to the tiger and turtle skins so that those who know/care enough could tell who really tracked down the unique.
    In general I think that more class-specific content is the way to go - class influences the way you play and unites players way more than race or faction - why not encourage that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. now "morons" can get your UNIQUE pets...


    /facepalm blizz TOTALLY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoever seriously thinks Great Turtle Furyshell is a unique skin, you're dead wrong. Go to the dread wastes and tame the exact same skin from a turtle there.

    http://www.wowhead.com/npcs?filter=cr=35;crs=0;crv=RidingDragonTurtlePurple

    Get your facts straight before you dribble stupidity everywhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for those turtles in the Dread Wastes that you mention are not the same. Yeah, they are the same color, but their model is different. Great Fury Turtleshell most definitely IS unique at this time.

      http://www.wow-petopia.com/family/turtle.html (The ones you mention are normal dragon turtles, he is a SPIKED dragon turtle.)

      Please look more closely and do some research next time before being a jerk. Heaven forbid, had I make a mistake (which I clearly haven't in this instance) you could at least kindly let me know.

      Delete
  10. Ugh, I was so bummed when I saw the pink birds all over the isle, esp after it took me FOREVER to track down Pan. Now everyone has it and it's like "blah, mines not cool anymore... *stable*" I would like to know how people are getting frogs and such as pets?! Is there a book or something you can get to be able to tame the 91+s?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, what you are likely seeing are hunters using their Dire Beast spell. When I used it I would often get a large python even though I can't tame them.

      Delete
  11. I never thought I would ever tame Fury. He was always dead or being attacked when I would race towards it. However like Chelon it seems Fury at times will be withdrawn in it's shell, stationary and you have click on the shell to make it go hostile.

    Thats how I found it when my friend and I were hunting around the isles with noone around surprisingly. I asked my friend to stay with the shell as I went to stable a pet and get a slot available. I knew he couldn't stop anyone that came along from attacking Fury but at least he could join in and get a drop or coins and get something out of the rare.

    When I got a slot ready I raced back and my heart sank as I saw Fury chasing my friend around. I knew anyone with NPC Scan active would have definitely detected the rare now. My friend had to Feign Death to shake Fury who then lumbered back to it resting spot and when back into it's shell. I quickly ran over to the shell clicked it my self and started taming it, hoping noone would come and as luck would have it no one did and I got the tame completed.

    Not sure why he clicked on it and I was so happy I got the tame I honestly forgot to ask but reguardless it all worked out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wanted clear up that I meant no one around area where we were at. Not that no one as on the isle.

      Delete