Sunday, March 4, 2012

Ironsteve Say's Goodbye to the World...of Warcraft

Ironsteve met his end last night. It was an incredibly quick and painless death. It happened quite literally in the blink of an eye. I had just logged into the inn in Tanaris and was headed over to the flight-master so that I could head south and begin on some of the quests there, and naturally to look for some rares. Well...the flight-master who has been so friendly with me for the past year or so this time wasn't. I've been playing alliance for the past couple of years and never realized that this neutral town still had two separate flight masters for alliance and horde. Hell, as I write this I'm still not sure as to where the horde one is.

Here is a screenie of what can only be called a slaughter below~

RIP Ironsteve
I'm not angry about Ironsteve's death, I knew it would happen eventually. I am however pretty disappointed in myself. I was so SO incredibly careful for almost 53 levels and thought I really had a shot at making it a lot further. I went through incredible measures to avoid anything that could hurt Ironsteve, and then I had one moment of not quite paying attention.

I imagined that Ironsteve would die while attempting to take out some difficult rare with special abilities or from getting ambushed by handfuls of angry mobs...something epic. Well this was just about the exact opposite of the epic death I imagined, and it happened so fast I just sat here with my mouth open staring at the screen in shock.

Ironsteve's Last Rare Finds
Ironsteve was deleted immediately following his death. It was like pulling off a band-aid. I had gotten attached to Steve over the past couple of weeks, but I knew that this would be his eventual fate when he was created.

Ironsteve will be remade at some point in the near future. I am currently unsure if I will remake the exact same toon, or try something new entirely.

Whatever I do end up rolling though, my strategy will not change and I will continue tracking down as many rares as I can find.

Farewell Ironsteve

19 comments:

  1. What a horrible way to go :(
    Being splatted by a "tiny, angry woman" and her trained attack gryphons.

    When my old guild went Horde, it took me weeks to stop being thrown out of the Alliance Inn in Dalaran. Old habits die hard.

    Good luck to the next Ironsteve :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely done that on numerous occassions, this was my first time clicking on an enemy flight master though. ugh

      The next Ironsteve came back as a druid!! =)

      Delete
  2. Oh, poor Ironsteve. He had a fantastic run and we enjoyed his journey.

    What a way to go eh.... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a very very un-epic way to go that's for sure. The next Ironsteve is going to tiptoe around flight-masters everywhere from now on!

      Delete
  3. Oh no! You were doing so well too. I don't think I would have lasted half as long as you did. I've made my iron toon but I'm nervous about actually logging in to try it :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally try it, I'm telling you even after dying after getting that far I still had a blast playing him. You just have to try not to think about the possibility of dying ALL the time. =P That'll drive you nuts.

      Delete
  4. Godspeed, Ironsteve, godspeed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matty, Ironsteve will be back though! He'll just look a little different when he does. ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh no, Ironsteve. I can't count the times I've been slaughtered by flight masters, I guess it's the price of being bi-faction and never remembering which side I am at the moment. I so enjoyed his story, especially his skill in finding all those rares.

    Looking forward to your next Ironman but will always remember Ironsteve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing is when I started this toon my husband told me that because I hadn't played horde in so long that this would probably be how I'd eventually die. Of course I was like "Pffttt that's silly! I pay a little more attention than that."

      Delete
    2. Oh no, I hope he refrained from an "I told you so"!

      Delete
    3. Haha, no he didn't he probably would have had a broken arm had he said that. =P

      He was actually quite consoling, believe me, he didn't want to invoke my wrath.

      Delete
  6. "I'm sorry for your loss"

    I am looking forward to trying this but I have no toon slots on my current server.

    Sizz from Sizzle's Legs
    sizzlelegs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sizz, I had to roll on another server because all of my slots were full. Theres a few servers out there that actually have Ironman Challenger guilds too and they're a lot of fun seeing as you can't be in a regular guild.

      Delete
    2. It is easier to comply with the rules on a new server no friends or toons able to boost your progress with gold, bags and other luxuries

      Delete
  7. We never die the way we vision. It's almost ALWAYS something absurd we never factored in. That said, fine job getting as far as you did. :)

    I keep looking at this challenge and pondering it...but then I look at my own 2012 challenge and realize I should finish that (and I'm only about the halfway point) before I start anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh yeah, better to stick with one challenge at a time for sure. When you finish your 2012 challenge (which I think is pretty badass btw) you should deff consider trying it though, hellava lotta fun!! ^-^

      Delete
  8. Aww man that is really bad luck. I'm on my 3rd attempt previous deaths happened at 18 & 23 and that hurt. First was buggy quest 2nd was bad play because I was taking big risks and rushing.

    Be a tortoise not a hare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww dying to a buggy quest is about as bad as clicking on a flight master. Stinks when something that is not your fault kills you. =(

      And that is great advise, it definitely pays off to be the tortoise in a challenge like this.

      Delete